Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Journals. Part 1

 JOURNALS.
PART 1: Background Information

Michael and I maintain journals,though neither one of us is really consistent at it.  Michael told me, he dreads it because he feels like he has so much "catching up" to do.  I'm better, but I feel like I'm missing a lot.  See, I have a stack of about 4 journals -- one for my goals, one fore scripture reading, one as personal journal and one as a family journal. Our family blog helps because many times it acts like a family journal and I try to post 1-2 times a week.  But it's overwelming to try and keep 4 journals!  I honestly keep them in 3 different books, but I've thought about going to a "all-in-one" method but I wonder if that would be too messy for me.

As much as I love to take pen to paper and just write, I don't find myself doing it like I should to keep all those journals the way I should.  But each type of journal is important to me.  So, here's an overview of the types of journals I have been keeping and I think I will continue in these areas.

Personal HistoryWe decided we really wanted to work on our personal histories.  During a sunday school lesson, one man shared how he does his personal history.  He started by brainstorming a timeline of his life.. just major events that had happened. This started out as sort of a Table of Contents. Then, each Sunday he would take one of those events and write about it.  If he remembered any other events, he would keep adding to that timeline and keep writing about them.  He said it took awhile, but soon he felt like he had a good personal history,but he continues to add to it.  Our goal is start on our personal histories, and start a family history this way.  Wouldn't that be neat to have on your parents? or grandparents?  I want this for my prosperity to know who I am, the world I live in, and to learn from me and my experience.  I also want to start/continue this for my children.  My mom made me a baby book, and it is one of the best resources to find out about me as a baby.  I'd love this for my children and maybe something a little more.  

Scripture Study or Tender Mercies Journal
I saw this article on sugardoodle.net, and absolutely loved her journals. It made me feel guilty, and yet gave me like a glimpse of what could be, yet I know I will never be that neat and clean and cute and organized. My brain jumps all over the place and my handwriting is sloppy trying to catch up. (randomly did you know I can type one thing and be talking about another?) I started a scripture study journal when I was in seminary, it was helpful to me mostly just because my mind goes a mile and minute and I had a hard time concentrating on my scripture study, but having to journal about it- even just summarize it- engaged my mind.  I just think that if I could engage my mind like and come out with something like her journals.  I would be way more spirtualized.    I also mesh my 'tender mercies' or just a record of the way I have found the Lord blessing my life and my family and the way the Holy Ghost promopts, comforts and guides me with my scripture journal.  I find this extremely important to building my testimony because it helps me remember those moments.

Goals
I also keep a journal about my goals.  Really.  I'm not always as self-motivated as I seem. One day, I decided what I really motivates me is accountability. So, to make many of my personal goals more accountable, I started to write them down, track my progress and accomplishment.  Some of these goals are very easy; like lose 5 lbs, keep the house cleaner.  Some are not so easy; like be more compassionate, be a better mother or wife. Either way it helps me break them down and be accountable daily for my goals. Maybe one day I will get to be the person I want to be...    


Dear Readers,
What journals do you keep? Why?
Anymore you would suggest? Any I can do without?
Do you keep yours in seperate books or are you all-in-one?

No comments:

Post a Comment