Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Climbing Mount Everest.

I read this article today.

She struck the nail on the head.   Really, when I sit back and think about it, I love being a  mom.  Best. Job. Ever.

Ask me that during the day when my kids are driving me nuts, it's not quite so much fun or so much love. Why? Because it's hard dealing with a 3 year old, especially one who has decided no to use words, but instead just makes sound effects for communication.  Or 15 month old, who just screams when she doesn't get her way.  It's hard when I know I should not give in, but I know that if I do the crying will stop.  It's hard to not laugh at the pout that comes when they are told no. 

She says, "Parenting is hard. Just like lots of important jobs are hard. Why is it that the second a mother admits that it's hard, people feel the need to suggest that maybe she's not doing it right? Or that she certainly shouldn't add more to her load. Maybe the fact that it's so hard means she IS doing it right...in her own way...and she happens to be honest."
 
Parenting should be hard!  It's our greatest responsibility! It gives us the best rewards!! She uses the analogy of climbing Mt. Everest.  The climb is hard- you won't enjoy every minute of it. You won't enjoy most it, even!  But when you get to the top, see the view, and relish your triumph, you treasure that moment forever. 

Do I hate it when people tell me to enjoy every minute of it?  No, but I'm probably thinking, "you try enjoying that nasty diaper I changed 5 minutes ago..."  But I really relate. I relate to feeling guilty that I don't enjoy every second. I relate to it being hard.   But I love her point.  If we can make it through the crying and hard stuff. There are plenty of sweet moments-- Maggie's precious smile, Landen giving me a kiss and telling me he loves me, and when they play nice together.   Those are the parts to be enjoyed and treasured.

She says,  "Then there's Kairos time. Kairos is God's time. It's time outside of time. It's metaphysical time. It's those magical moments in which time stands still. I have a few of those moments each day. And I cherish them.... If I had a couple Kairos moments during the day, I call it a success. Carpe a couple of Kairoses a day."


No comments:

Post a Comment