Sunday, February 3, 2013

Scripture Journaling

I love browsing The Redheaded Hostess's posts about scripture journals.  I also like That Good Part, and LDS Notebooking, and One of Kind, well, there is a lot, but those will get you started.

Recording our thoughts while we're studying our scriptures is important.

"I've found, as I'm sure you have, that when you are trying to learn from the spirit, it's important to make a note so it will not be forgotten. The more you not only hear but abide by what you've been told, the more the Lord will give to you. It will come more and more rapidly and you will begin to hear and feel those impressions of the Spirit more quickly than you have previously done." -Elder Gene R. Cook

I'm not nearly as creative or artistic as many of the ladies with these beautiful scripture journals.  I felt like I need to study, then plan out a page and then make the page.  It became a little overwhelming and I'd avoid it entirely because I didn't have the page done, but I felt ready to move on to another topic.

I also felt like I neglected other areas I felt I need to study.  I love our ward, but one thing they really lack is contributing to lessons.  I'll answer question and help out, but I hate feeling like the only one participating.  I also felt like I needed to be prepared for classes.  I get more from the lesson and I feel better contributing. 


I made a study schedule.  I started off just taking about 4 pieces of paper, folding them hot-dog style and stapling the middle to make a little book.  I found a little something that has been working for a few weeks, and made a template for every week. 

I like the schedule, it keeps me from getting restless with one thing, book of scripture or topic.  But it keeps me on-task, on-schedule and progressing.  I do work on "journal"  but I only do so about once or twice a week.  I added a page to organize some thought, make a ponder pad, or jot down some inspiration, things to look up or ideas for teaching my kids. 

Anyway, I'd hate to keep all my work to myself, so I made a pdf and thought I'd share if anyone out there is interested. 
 Here's the link for the TEMPLATE.
And a link with an example week.

No comments:

Post a Comment